Back in Business

March 14, 2014 ·


Sorry for the delay in posting, but I've had a hectic time for the last few weeks.  My armies are covered in dust, and my enthusiasm had trailed off a bit. 

But now I'm back, and I have excellent news, for the most part. 

My idea to paint a squad of crisis suits in Seahawks colors bombed.  So I am going to stick with my white, brown, and orange scheme.  This is excellent news indeed, because as good as navy blue and lime green look on Russell Wilson, they look like shit on a crisis suit.

Back to my old business...


I keep looking at that list of stuff to do (that I mentioned a while back) and that particular list hasn't changed.  But I have added another list to it.  I still have all that new stuff still sitting there in boxes, but a friend just gave me his (rather) large and (very) unfinished Tau army in exchange for some Ork stuff I will never, ever use.  

And honestly, things got very intimidating, very quickly. I love this huge new army, but again, it's intimidating. I don't even know where to start...

So let's deal with that...

(Click the title of this article to see more.)

Where do I even start?  It reminds me of that old question, "How do you eat an elephant?"  The answer is, "One bite at a time."  

Well, look at this pile of stuff.  And this is only the ones that are already put together...  It is almost a complete army in its own right.  Where would you start?  Which bite would you take first? 



Well, I am going to tackle this lot one unit at a time.  I am going to start by finishing up James' unfinished army, then my new stuff (I figure it's kinda pointless to build more when I have so much to paint).  

I need to finish building a little bit, but most of my new (used) stuff is already put together, and I just need to clean it up, base it, and paint it.  But I'll tell you now, painting is not really my strong suit.  

I think I will start with an appetizer, painting the firewarriors, a devilfish, and maybe a hammerhead.  

After that I will do the Crisis suit conversions, probably after spring break.  One of my colleagues here on WHT posted a tutorial on how to modernize their look to better match the new commander, and I think I will follow his tutorial.  I will take pictures and plenty of notes as I go and add them back to his tutorial. 

I think I will shoot for completing one unit or vehicle per week.

My students yearbook is due at the end of March, so I will be stuffed till then with proofing and editing.  So the light work of painting should tie me over through that.  Then I will get on with the harder stuff.

Here's what James added to my already large army:
 

1 headless Enforcer commander
8 crisis suits (only 2 assembled)
6 stealth suits
24 fire warriors
12 metal pathfinders
The OOP special edition Firewarrior Shas'ui
2 OOP Ethereals (one of which I did not have)
4 Devilfish
2 Hammerheads
16 Kroot (on sprue)
1 KrootOx (still in the package)
2 Kroot Hounds (still in the package)
2 Piranha (on sprue)1 Riptide (also headless)
3 Broadsides (old style)
1 Sunshark/Razorshark (still in the box)
and a zillion more drone parts (you know how that goes)

He also gave me another 24 firewarriors and some drones that were painted purple and steel blue (his base was white like mine, so where these purple buggers came from I do not know).

This lot, plus the new stuff and old stuff puts my little Tau army easily over15,000 points.  I have over 80 battlesuits now... (34 crisis, 24 XV-25 stealth suits, Farsight, Shadowsun, Longstrike, 2 Enforcer commanders, R'Alai, R'Myr, Farsight's seven cronies, my 2 FW XV-88 conversions, four other FW suits, six XV-15s, two more XV-22s, and 3 Rptides).  

I am so chuffed.  I have no idea what I am going to do with it all when my daughter comes home from college and demands a place to sleep, because the guest bedroom is currently occupied...

Once I get it all compiled into Army Builder I will have a better figure for you.

All I am really missing from my perfect "dream" army is a couple of Tigersharks, an Orca, a couple of R'Varnas, and one more Barracuda, plus a few things that have yet to be released (like that rumored Kroot CC monster and a few alien allies).

And time.

Oh yeah, and that Manta....  the one that comes with divorce papers.

Next post should be around March 23rd with an update on the firewarriors repaint and maybe the devilfish touch-up.

I play Tau.

3 comments:

leon de pinda said...
March 14, 2014 at 7:40 AM  

well if ya have too much stuff you can always give some to your faithfull readers! ;P
"hint"

just kidding, good to see another post bro! keep it up!

Enigma Crysis said...
March 16, 2014 at 12:07 PM  

I agree I wouldn't mind the forgeworld suits or the Sunshark. ;)

Michael Newman said...
March 20, 2014 at 5:20 PM  

Hu Jin, you are disappoint... abandoning the mighty seahawks sept just like that...
In any case, I will move the initiative forward, and wanted to ask for you advice on what colors you would use to make up a seahawks sept. I have some ideas and want to see if our palettes are eye to eye. Cheers

Who's Watching?

About Warhammer Tau

Warhammer Tau is a group of wargamers who feel that they have a little something different to offer other Tau Empire, Kroot, and allied players... even if it's just a starting point for discussion! Our goal is to produce at least one article per week to inform and encourage the Tau and Warhammer gamer community. For the Greater Good, of course!


Tau Army Tactics
  • XV-805 Commander
  • Skyray
  • Devilfish
  • Coming Soon:
  • Ethereals
  • Commander Farsight
  • Commander Shadowsun
  • Riptide Battlesuits
  • Crisis Battlesuits
  • Stealth Suits
  • Fire Warriors
  • Pathfinders
  • Piranha
  • Broadside Battlsuits
  • Sniper Drones
  • Hammerhead
Allies of the Empire
  • Kroot
  • Vespids
  • Other Allies
Books About the Empire

Favorite Blogs

Recommended Blogs